Tax Services
IRS Repair Services

There are many tax payment options you can pursue if you have tax debt or you completed your tax return and you realize you cannot pay. You should always pay the IRS or your State as much as you can and be sure to FILE your taxes Remember, there are no payment options if you fail to file.

IRS Installment Agreements or Payment Plans

If you can pay Federal taxes over time and you need longer than 120 days some type of Installment Agreement may be a good fit for you. Each differs slightly by the term of the period, the paperwork required, how difficult each is to obtain, and whether the balance must be paid in full. With state tax debt, payment plans can also be pursued. See if you qualify for an Installment agreement because if you don't there are other options. However, realize that Interest and penalties are reduced but are still effective with an Installment Agreement. Therefore, sometimes a bank loan is recommended as you need to see which interest rate is higher if you do not want to try to settle your tax debt.

Payment Options in Full

If you can pay the IRS in full (1 payment) it is highly recommended. However, this option is not feasible for many taxpayers. You can be determined to get your IRS status "paid in full" by borrowing from a bank (refinance your home or a piece of property), family members or friends. This can sometimes be a better alternative to paying by credit card. Some individuals will put their taxes on a credit card. Although this something you have to do, it should be a last resort because the interest and penalties on credit cards are typically much higher than if you receive a personal a loan or enter into a payment plan.

Short-Term Tax Payment Extension Options

If you have just finished your tax return and realize you cannot pay then you can typically buy yourself a good 90 days in making full payments before any formal letters will be sent to you. Payments should reflect what you can pay. In other words, if you file and include partial payment, the IRS will send you a letter 45 days later letting you know the balance of your taxes owed tacked on with interest and a late penalty. They will repeat this process until they send you formal notice they will institute the collection process. This option is good if you can pay off your taxes in the next 90 to 180 days with payments so often and it is not an official payment option of the IRS. You can also request a six month extension by proving financial hardship but additional paperwork is required - it?s official but difficult to obtain.

Help with Payment Plans or extensions

Tax Debt Help's professional team can guide you through the payment plan request process to help you obtain a reasonable payment plan that fits within your budget. This can include a PPIA request or Installment Agreement. Don't worry, if none of these are suitable for you, there are other options including but not limited to proving uncollectible status or submitting an Offer In Compromise (OIC). Payment plan extension requests are also served by our team of tax attorneys, CPAs, and former IRS agents.

Hardship Extensions.

The IRS will allow qualified taxpayers to defer for a specific amount of time, up to 24 months, their IRS debt. The two reasons the IRS finds acceptable are:

1) have been unemployed, or my spouse has been unemployed (if filing a joint return), for at least 30 consecutive days during 2011 or 2012, prior to April 15, 2012.

2) I am self-employed and need an extension of time to pay due to a 25% or greater reduction in business income in 2011 (relative to 2010) due to the economic downturn.

You are eligible for an extension of time to pay your income tax for 2011 if you meet the following requirements:

1. Your income tax liability for 2011, as shown or to be shown o your Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ, is less than $50,000.

2. Your adjusted gross income, as shown or to be shown on your Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ, is less than?

  a. $100,000, if your filing status is single, married filing separately, head of household, or qualifying widow(er), or

  b. $200,000, if you are filing a joint return.

3. You are experiencing economic hardship and need a six-month extension of time to pay your income tax for 2011 because?

a. You were or your spouse (if filing a joint return) was unemployed for at least 30 consecutive days during 2011 or 2012, prior to April 15, 2012, or

b. You are self-employed and you suffered a 25% or greater reduction in business income in 2011 (relative to 2010) due to the economic downturn.

Untitled Document
Untitled Document