Migration Services
Family & Marriage Visas

Immigration to the USA based upon familial ties to a sponsor in the USA depends largely upon the status of the sponsoring relative. Both US permanent residents and US Citizens may sponsor relatives to relocate to the USA and in such cases, qualifying relatives will be permitted to immigrate to the USA on a permanent basis.  In most cases sponsored relatives will also be able to live and work in the USA as they see fit. However, the categories of relative who may be sponsored differ depending upon whether the sponsor is a US permanent resident or a US citizen.

Sponsoring a Parent or Sibling

A US citizen may sponsor a parent or sibling for US immigration. Successful applications will allow the sponsored relative to settle in the United States and to begin living and working in the USA upon arrival. However, it is important to note that only US citizens may sponsor a candidate in either of these categories. US permanent residents who have not naturalised may not sponsor parents or siblings unless they themselves choose to undergo the process of US naturalisation first. If you would like to know more about applying for US citizenship, visit the citizenship page.

US Green Card Applications ? Sponsor Requirements

US citizens sponsoring a foreign resident relative will be required to sign an affidavit of support. In effect, the key requirement is that as a sponsor, the US citizen takes financial responsibility for the applicant. The sponsor must take responsibility for any periods during which the applicant becomes dependent upon state benefits and the affidavit will remain in use until the candidate has either completed a 10-year period of living and working in America, or they have become self-sufficient and the agreement is no longer appropriate.

Sponsoring a Spouse or Fianc?

Both US Citizens and US permanent residents may sponsor their spouse or fiance to join them in the United States. In either case, the process may be set in motion outside the USA, or from within the country.

The US K-3 Visa

The K-3 visa, or US spouse visa is designed for US permanent residents and US citizens who wish to bring their spouse to live in the USA. K-3 visas are begun in the applicant's country of residence and are completed once the candidate is in the USA. Both parties must be over the age of 18 and the marriage must have been in existence for at least 24 months. Where the marriage is less than 2 years old, a conditional USA Green Card will be issued for 2 years which may then be converted to an application for lawful permanent residence in the USA so long as the marriage is still in existence. In all cases, a range of supporting documentation must be submitted. Your Global Visas immigration consultant will be able to discuss the exact requirements with you during your initial consultation. Successful applicants may bring any dependent children with them who will be admitted under the K-4 visa category.

Sponsoring Dependent Children

Dependent children of a spouse or fianc? visa holder will be issued with a K4 visa or K2 visa respectively allowing them to live in the USA and to engage in study and/or work. The USA also provides for foreign-born children who are being adopted by Americans. The IR-3 and IR-4 visa apply to adopted children under the age of 16, however, candidates in this category may only be sponsored by US citizens, not permanent residents, and sponsors must be at least 25 years of age. All sponsors who wish to adopt foreign-born children will be reviewed by the United States Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

Untitled Document
Untitled Document